4 August 2001
On Saturday morning, we went for a walk. Here Lucy is crossing the Miners Bridge over the
Afon Llugwy, one of the three rivers which converge at Betws-y-Coed.
Lucy in her new walking boots.
We climbed up through the woods (along the dotted red line) to Diosgydd, where we got
slightly lost finding the path back down the hill, across the yellow road and along the
river to the falls.
Swallow Falls, looking very pretty. No doubt they are more dramatic with more water in the
winter, but they were still very attractive.
Stephen and Lucy in front of Swallow Falls. Still experimenting with the new camera - the
self-timer seems to work okay!
Stephen exploring the top of the falls. The A5 is just behind the wall on the other side
of the river, but we had earned the view with our expedition.
In the afternoon, we went for a drive - here is a panoramic shot of the Snowdon horseshoe,
unfortunately with Yr Wyddfa itself disappearing into the clouds.
From Snowdon we drove south through Beddgelert and the pass of
Aberglaslyn, soon to be
once more the route of the Welsh Highland Railway. From there we went through
skirted Blaenau Ffestiniog and stopped at Dolwyddelan Castle.
The keep of Dolwyddelan Castle.
According to tradition, Dolwyddelan Castle was the birthplace in 1173 of
Llywelyn the Great, prince of Gwynedd. However, it is more likely that he was born at an
earlier castle site nearby. The present castle dates from soon after 1200 and its
prominent rectangular keep was almost certainly built by Llywelyn himself. A little later
the timber defences around the courtyard were replaced in stone. The now ruined West Tower
was added by Edward I in 1283.
Looking north up the valley of the Afon Lledr (the third of the rivers that meet at
Betws-y-Coed) from the top of the keep.
Lucy in the car park
The newer West Tower is in poorer condition than the main keep, which was extensively
restored in the 19th century.
The keep and West Tower silhouetted against the bright evening sky.